Posts in category Undergraduate News

Summer Internship Series: Nathan Novaria

A Summer in Pure Michigan

Nathan Novaria_1I enjoy work that positively impacts the lives of people, so when the time came to search for an internship position, I decided to return to my old stomping grounds for another summer instead of looking for a new job. Located in my hometown of Kalamazoo, MI, Southwest Michigan First (SMF) is nonprofit economic development organization that is passionate about cultivating a strong future in the seven counties that make up our region. Established in 1999 on the principle that the most powerful force for change is a well-paying job, it focuses on projects and initiatives that positively impact the lives of people.  With its unique model of philanthropy and capitalism, the organization is internationally recognized from Melbourne to Vancouver for its innovation in the field of economic development.

As a double major in Communication Studies and Organizational Studies, the position as a Communications Fellow seamlessly blends together my courses of study at the University of Michigan and provides me with the opportunity to look at my projects through a variety of lenses.  Within the position, I primarily work on the marketing team assisting with the strategic branding efforts of each part of the organization. Most recently, SMF launched an internship search site, http://miinternship.com/, which provides students at the surrounding universities in Kalamazoo County with helpful application preparation and interview resources as well as a list of internships posted by local companies throughout the entirety of the year. Collaborating with a team of two awesome supervisors, I assisted in the execution of a launch strategy that helped market the site to our two target groups: college students and businesses.  Through crafting audience-focused marketing content and utilizing Hootesuite, a social media management software program, as well as other various online marketing resources, the website has seen a successful launch. Companies are able to connect directly with young talent looking for professional experience before entering the workforce, and college students can gain valuable insight into the application process before beginning their job search.

In addition to fine tuning my marketing and social media skills, the project has also allowed me to work with a passionate team of individuals and continue to develop my own work aesthetic. Organizational efficiency is a key component in the operations and practices in Southwest Michigan First. By collaborating, setting benchmarks and effectively managing each of our tasks, we are accomplishing our set goals and ensuring the mission of SMF is fulfilled.  Each individual is an integral part of the work that we do within the organization.  Though each member has their strengths and weaknesses, united together we are able to accomplish work in an efficient and effective manner that one individual could not do alone. I am thankful for this opportunity to work with an award-winning nonprofit filled with mentors and leaders that are making a difference in the lives of others.

Nathan 2

Nathan Novaria and the other SMF interns

Summer Internship Series: Katelin Toporski

The Skinny on my Summer: Tips from a Fat Camp Intern

1I stood at the train station in Grand Rapids, MI, anxiously waiting to board. Since February, I’d been dreaming of the day that my “Big New York Adventure” would start.

In October, I eagerly applied for internships, hoping that some glamorous company would catch my eye, hire me immediately, and pay me a disgusting amount of money…apparently that’s not how the internship hunt works.

I watched my friends within the Communication Studies program get hired by Chevy, the PGA Tour, and even the New York Times! I was beyond envious, until I finally received a Skype interview from Camp 2Shane, New York’s infamous weight-loss camp. About two weeks after my interview, I was offered the position of Social Media & Marketing intern!

No, it wasn’t in the city. No, it wasn’t high-paying. No, it was not what I had in mind when I originally began my search for the internship of my dreams. But, it was an opportunity for growth, improvement, and the implementation of the skills I had learned during my first two years of Communications prerequisites. (Plus, another chance to drop the lingering remnants of my “Freshman 15”).

3After an 18-hour train ride, an awkward, train station pick-up from a coworker who only listened to Nickelback, and various phone calls to update my ever-worrying mother, I arrived in the boondocks of upstate New York to start what was sure to be an interesting summer. I was hurtled into the land of social media management, SEO (search engine optimization), fitness blogging, and healthy eating. From Zumba to spin class, cooking to nutrition, I’m the public’s secret eye to the inside of the camp with all the secrets to fighting childhood obesity.

Approaching my three week mark of the nine I’ll be here at Shane, I look back to see what I’ve learned thus far…

1. Being on time is important. Whether you work for a Fortune 500 or a summer camp, make sure you’re punctual.
  2. Set goals for yourself. Make a list of what you need to accomplish for the day, the week, the month, the summer! You’ll get things done when you have a list.
  3. Social media is so real and so important. Parents, campers, perspective clients, relatives, etc. LOVE seeing pictures and updates. One of the key tools in being successful in marketing and recruiting is having a solid platform on several social media sites.
  4. Confidence is important, drive is huge, but passion is key. Enter into projects with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Blow them out of the water with your dedication, your ideas, and your get-it-done and get-it-done-well attitude.
  5. Don’t forget to have fun. While most hours I’m typing up healthy-living blogs, making copies, or sounding overly-excited while answering the phone, I still find time to have the4 traditional summer camp fun. Make friends and memories; take advantage of this wonder that is summer.

So, whether you’re waiting tables, babysitting, or interning big this summer, redefine your name, create an outstanding work ethic, and grow your skills in every way possible.

While I’m losing some pounds, interning at fat camp is helping me gain so much more.

Kate out.

Summer Internship Series: Allison Raeck

The Internship Search: What I Wish I Would’ve Known

Allison Raeck picWith the summer flying by, it’s hard to believe how much has happened in the past six months. In January, I was scrambling to find an internship, scouring websites, databases and career fairs for something to do this summer. Today, I’m interning at the Executive Office of Governor Rick Snyder in Lansing, Michigan. Here, I work with the Communications Division, which is responsible for helping craft the Governor’s messages and present them to the state.

When I applied for the position, I thought it might be a lot of busy work (copying, filing, coffee runs, etc.) but, in actuality, my experience has been extremely hands-on. I’ve had the opportunity to tag along and help out with multiple events across the state, including a Criminal Justice special message in Detroit, a sexual assault summit in Lansing and even a royal visit from the Dutch king and queen in Grand Rapids. At the same time, I’ve put to use what I’ve learned in many of my Communication Studies courses while gaining new skills that will help broaden my horizons after graduation.

Still, there are a lot of things I wish I had known a year ago that would have made the internship application process a whole lot easier. Here are some lessons I’ve learned along the way:

Start the search early. While I thought I had all year to work on my resume, I quickly learned that a lot of deadlines for summer internships are in the fall and winter. My application for the Governor’s Office position was due in January and if I wouldn’t have been on the lookout, I would’ve missed it. I’d recommend checking out internships for next summer this summer. (I know this probably isn’t what you wanted to hear. But, if you get your resume and cover letters prepped now while you have some free time, you’ll thank yourself later.)

Apply, apply, apply! Though it may seem like your schoolwork and extracurricular responsibilities are overwhelming enough as it is, don’t forget to devote time to the internship search. To help separate my school and “work” lives, I treated my applications like a class; I would devote an afternoon each week solely to researching and applying for internships. Making a timeline in my schedule also helped me stay on top of application deadlines (and maintain my personal sanity – ha!).

Only consider a job you would actually accept. This seems obvious, but when I was looking around for internships, I was so desperate that I found myself writing cover letters for an array of positions, some of which I wasn’t sure I even wanted. Though I think it’s in your best interest to “apply, apply, apply!” (see above), only do so for positions that you truly believe are right for you and the career path you want to take. If the job description already seems boring or doesn’t mention anything even remotely similar to what you would want to do for the rest of your life, that’s a warning sign. Remember: there are a lot of internships out there. To make sure you don’t waste your (or your interviewer’s) time, only interview for a position you would accept if offered a job on the spot.

Have confidence in your application. When I first started applying for summer positions, I thought I’d be happy if anyone contacted me. Seriously – I was checking my email hourly for any sign that someone out there had read my resume. So, for some reason, when I actually received calls and emails in response, I was shocked. Remember: you are a highly-qualified shining star. Don’t let apprehension and anxiety get in the way of showing hiring managers what you would bring to the table. Internships are competitive, and you’ve got to do what it takes to stand out, so hide the humility for once and brag a little! And when you get that phone call, remain cool, calm and collected (regardless of how many backflips you may or may not be doing).

Be prepared to actually do everything you say you can do. Does your resume claim that you are “extremely proficient” in Excel when, really, you’ve only opened the program twice in your life? Have you told an employer you have “professional experience with graphic design” because you added text to an image on Microsoft Paint that one time? It may be tempting to throw a ton of skills and “power verbs” into your resume or cover letter, but remember: if you’re hired for that position, your boss is going to expect you to deliver on your promises. Stand out, but be truthful.

Don’t be afraid of getting multiple offers; just have an action plan ready. Don’t get me wrong. Getting a few different internship offers is a great problem to have. If that’s you, congratulations! You are capable, confident and qualified. Still, this can be an extremely awkward situation, so be prepared. Last spring, March rolled around and I had a few different people calling for interviews. I was careful to plan out all factors of the positions (such as location, responsibilities and future plans) to help decide which would be best for me. It might break your heart but, chances are, you’re going to have to turn down some great positions. This happens – just realize, however, that having multiple offers awards you the privilege to be picky.

Looking back now, I don’t know what I was so nervous about when I was applying for internships. The professionals I work with at the Governor’s Office are overwhelmingly welcoming and approachable, and I’m sure your prospective employers will be as well. So, don’t be afraid—get out there! You’ll never land a position if you don’t apply. Walk into your interview with the reassurance that your coursework as a Communication Studies student has not only prepared you for this, but made you a strong, capable candidate. Chances are you know a lot more than you think you do and will do great wherever the winding road of internship applications leads you.

Undergraduate Course Spotlight

013 blogThe life of a Communication Studies major at U of M is certainly a good one.  The Department of Communications Studies and its distinguished faculty offer diverse courses that prepare students for all sorts of communications-related fields: advertising, public relations, marketing, journalism, television and film production, sports broadcasting, book and magazine publishing, public affairs, you name it!  Each course challenges students’ preconceived notions of the media, pushing them as critical thinkers.  Some courses even change students’ understandings of the media forever.  Communication Studies 261 is one of those courses.

Professor Scott Campbell routinely teaches Communication Studies 261, “Views on the News: What Shapes our Media Content.” As a core requirement of the Communication Studies major, this class is seen as particularly complementary to students interested in journalism, media psychology, politics and government.  From start to finish, this course examines how various aspects of society shape the news.  The news is influenced by more interlocking social forces than you think: a fact the course continually reemphasizes.

Communication Studies 261 is unique in that students are divided into groups in order to conduct a research project using a content analysis research method.  They develop research questions based on a topic of their choosing and execute a research project to examine those questions. Each group submits a research proposal, a completed research paper, and presents their findings to the rest of the class.  The panel of presentations allows students to share their research in relation to class material.  Some previous research topics include:

• Bruce Jenner and the Fear of the Unknown
  • Social Identities and Presidential News Coverage
  • NFL Domestic Abuse Coverage
  • Media Bias in Student Publications in Big Ten Universities

005 blog

Regardless of students’ different career aspirations, the skills they develop from this course will benefit them in both the personal and professional realms.  The course pushes students as critical and analytical thinkers as their writing, research, and presentation skills are refined – skills that never go out of style.  From production, to dissemination, to reception, news is influenced every step of the way.  Thus, this course insists that we cannot afford to be a passive audience.  Be critical.  Be aware.  Upon completion of this course, one thing is clear: students will never look at news the same.

010 blog

Looking for Student Intern Bloggers!

Summer Internship Series

Calling all Communication Studies students! We know you are accomplishing amazing internships this summer and we want to hear all about it!  We are looking for a number of students to create posts documenting their internships, which will go live on the Department’s blog for our “Summer Internship Series.” 

A few basics:

• Receive permission from your internship supervisor.
  • Include a headshot of yourself in affiliation with your internship (ex. wearing a company t-shirt, standing in front of company’s building, posing next to company’s logo etc.) – we encourage you to include additional photos as well!
  • Number of submissions vary – some students have chosen to document their journey by submitting a few posts throughout the summer, others write one at the beginning of their internship and one at the end, and some simply write one post at the time of their choosing.
  • Writing format is fairly open-ended – ultimately, we would like to get a sense of your internship experiences and in turn, what you learned!

E-mail: comm-studies-frontdesk@umich.edu if you’re interested and/or have any questions.

Sample posts from previous years: Example 1, example 2, and example 3

Bonus: If you choose to write for us, you will receive a free Comm Studies t-shirt! Free swag? Yes, please. 

Wolverines Around the World: Caroline Shao

caroline shaoHola y Bienvenidos!

My name is Caroline Shao and I am a rising senior at the University of Michigan, studying Communication Studies and Law, Justice, and Social Change. Currently, I am interning in Madrid, Spain with a program called Cultural Vistas. When I originally began to think about my summer plans, I knew that the traditional path to Chicago or New York wasn’t for me. I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I looked to other students’ experiences abroad and after hearing overwhelmingly positive reviews about Madrid, a couple of months later, I hopped on a plane to begin my internship in Spain.

I have been working as the Marketing and Communications Intern at Fundacion Madrina, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping pregnant women, mothers, and families in need. My responsibilities include compiling a list of international organizations and channels of communication with similar goals that would be suitable for future partnerships, and doing the legwork for a crowdfunding campaign. Thus far, I’ve attended an awards ceremony with the president of the foundation, met the Mayoress of Madrid, traveled to a church where I received a blessing from a Catholic priest, spoke to a nun in a monastery, and am looking forward to an upcoming badminton fundraising event!

The best part of working with a small non-profit is seeing how everyone’s role with Fundacion Madrina is absolutely crucial to the success of the organization. Despite the struggle to understand Spanish during the first company-wide meeting I attended, it was immediately clear to me that everyone’s contributions are respected and given consideration. Thinking back to my corporate internship last summer, my experience as an intern with a non-profit has felt completely different, and I am definitely enjoying it!

As far as life in Madrid goes, the city has welcomed me with open arms and a kiss on each cheek! Madrilenos have been overwhelmingly friendly and accommodating. They are always willing to help out when yours truly can’t locate shampoo in the supermarket and even more so when she accidently orders four cheeseburgers – ha! Culture shock hasn’t been an issue and in fact, I’ve truly embraced the cultural differences that Spain has to offer. For example, the pace of life is more relaxed. I’ve rarely seen people rushing anywhere besides to catch a metro, the bill never seems to arrive to your table so extra time is spent chatting, and arriving 10 or 15 minutes late to something is not just normal, it’s expected (*ahem* Michigan time, anyone?).

This past month has flown by! My time in Madrid has been filled with hard work, but also, lots of play. From museums to tours, bull fights to weekend trips, I have strived to take advantage of everything the city has to offer. Madrid’s beauty has continued to amaze me. There is so much to be said for being able to walk down the street at a leisurely pace, soaking up the view in a way that I rarely get to enjoy at home. Simply, Spain has been magnifico! It’s hard to believe that I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface. I couldn’t have asked for a better international internship experience!

Hasta la proxima!
Caroline

Wolverines Around the World: Jade Hubbard

jadeJade Hubbard is currently a junior double majoring in communication studies and Spanish. This semester she is interning in Dublin, Ireland for the organization Dublin 2020 – European Capital of Culture Candidate City. Some of her interests include running, traveling, spending time with family, and playing with her cat.

Comm Studies: What drew you to Dublin, Ireland and more specifically, this internship?

Jade Hubbard: When I decided I wanted to pursue an internship, I had ideas scattered all over the place.  One thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to go abroad. I love traveling; therefore, to be able to align an internship with a hobby was the perfect combination. After discovering that I could potentially go abroad as an intern, I stumbled upon the University of Michigan’s International Internship Program. When I saw an internship opportunity in Dublin, Ireland, I knew I wanted to go for various reasons.  First of all, I had already fallen in love with the country from a previous trip.  Besides, I felt that I should intern somewhere that I am already familiar with because internships can be difficult to adjust to.  I anticipated that it would be particularly difficult to adjust to a new workplace abroad.  In the end, this internship opportunity was the most attractive to me and I’m very happy with my decision!

CS: How did you discover this internship opportunity?

JH: Since I knew I wanted to go abroad, I browsed what the University of Michigan had to offer.  I knew the University would be an organized and efficient resource. Not only that, but I knew that the University would offer internships that would provide me with the best experiences I could ask for.

CS: What kind of work are you doing this summer? Any special projects?

JH: Right now I’ll just be interning with Dublin 2020.  I would, however, really like to volunteer for the Humane Society because I have a love for animals, especially cats.  Plus, I’ve never volunteered at a shelter before.

CS: How do you feel a major in communication studies prepared you for this experience?

JH: I feel that my major has prepared me VERY well for this experience. In fact, I took a communications course this semester related to social media and the evolution of ways that news is reaching the public. In my internship I work a lot with social media and marketing to the public through platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Having learned about social media in relation to communication studies provided me with techniques for how to approach the public and interpret news.

CS: What’s been the most surprising thing about Dublin, Ireland?

JH: The most surprising thing I have found about Dublin, Ireland is that the work environment is so relaxed! In the United States you will be assigned a task (or a list of them) from your boss and are expected to complete them in a timely manner. In Dublin, there isn’t a strict way of organizing things because everything is assigned in the moment.  You are allowed to manage your own time when working on something and take breaks when you want.  Yet, this structure proves to be just as effective because tasks still get done. I think this makes it so that the work environment is a more comfortable place to be in.

CS: What’s your favorite internship moment thus far?

JH: My favorite internship moment thus far was when I had the opportunity to attend one of the events my organization was hosting and actually take part in it. Through this I was able to speak with the locals to really understand the issues they face in their culture and the things they would like to see improved.  I thought this was a great learning experience.

CS: How does your experience align with your future goals?

JH: My experience aligns with my future goals because ideally, I would like to have a career related to communications in a location other than the United States or with the option of being able to travel as part of my job. I think that being abroad gives me a cultural intelligence of other areas besides the United States, which is important, especially with jobs that require switching and modifying ideas from culture to culture.

CS: Do you have any advice for current Communication Studies students based off of your experiences so far?

JH: My advice for current communication studies majors would be to take advantage of either studying abroad or doing an internship in a country where you haven’t been to. I think it not only gives you real world experience, but also allows you to learn and live in a different culture. Being able to do that gives you diverse skills that make you stand out because you become a globalized citizen and are able to consider and give ideas from various different angles based on what you’ve experienced abroad.

2015 Communication Studies Commencement

Grads and GuestsGraduates, can you believe it?  We really did graduate.  We’ve packed up our lives here at U of M, trying to make sense of this inevitable closing chapter.  We experienced a bizarre combination of nervousness, sadness, excitement…and even sweat.  I predict that many of you have already made the painstaking and exhausting move out of your Ann Arbor housing (good-bye forever, dingy college furniture!).  And most of you, I’m sure, took time to say good-bye to faculty and friends.  I even suspect that a few of you have already started your full-time jobs – an exhilarating, yet terrifying thought.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been spending these last couple weeks trying to overcome my serious post-grad nostalgia (Is there an official diagnosis for this?).  In my attempt to fondly remember the past, while excitedly anticipate the future, it is clear to me that Ann Arbor will always be special.  Whether it is a football game or maybe a job that draws us back, we will find ourselves revisiting our deeply rooted feelings of love, pride, and yearning for this phenomenal place.  Talk about an emotional roller coaster.

We must admit, however, we couldn’t have asked for a more perfect end to our undergraduate chapter at U of M.  We have the Department of Communication Studies to thank for this.  On May 1, 2015 we graduated and the normalcy we found in our undergraduate careers vanished.  The real world instantly greeted us with a few harsh realities: it is no longer socially acceptable to wear leggings every day, sleeping in until noon on any given day is no longer the norm, nor is it okay to arrive 10 minutes late assuming there’s a “Michigan time” grace period.  Harsh reality checks for sure.

0002

Some normalcy did remain on this special day.  As happens every year, the ceremony was held at the Michigan Theater — except the Michigan Theater felt a little different to us this time.  Professor and Chair of the Department, Susan Douglas, kicked-off the ceremony with a warm welcome.  Her opening remarks were insightful and certain, emphasizing the value of a liberal arts degree in addition to the media’s importance and power.  She affirmed that our liberal arts degree exposed us to diverse literature and perspectives, pressed us as critical and flexible thinkers, and refined our persuasive communication and research skills. These skills and more can only be taught through a liberal arts degree and will be crucially important as we tackle the continuing profound changes in communications technologies – technologies that grew and developed alongside us.  Douglas’ speech flawlessly encapsulated all of this and more, bringing together all of the things we had learned the past four years into perfect harmony.

0007Professor and Honors Advisor, Rowell Huesmann, introduced the Honors students: Jacquelyn Goldman, Marjorie McCurry, and Ellen Wagner.  He thoughtfully highlighted the rigorous requirements and expectations of the Honors Program – no easy feat.  At this time, he also presented the Mark Foote Distinguished Thesis Award.  This award was established in 2003 by the family of Mark Foote, a devoted University of Michigan alumnus and longtime leader in journalism.  The Distinguished Thesis Award is given to a Communication Studies undergraduate student for the most outstanding senior thesis in terms of scientific rigor and theoretical contribution.  Marjorie McCurry was the recipient of the award this year – you go girl!

Honors Thesis Students_ Jacquelyn Goldman, Marjorie McCurry, Ellen Wagner

Pictured: Honors Students, Jacquelyn Goldman, Marjorie McCurry, and Ellen Wagner 

I was fortunate enough to speak as president of the Michigan Association of Communication Studies (MACS) alongside my Co-EVP, Chris Beindorff.  While my speech relayed my deep love for all things U of M and hopes for my fellow graduates, Chris spoke of a hero that influenced his life and will continue to do so: his grandfather.  Both speeches expressed our appreciation of U of M and more specifically, our journeys through communications.  Together, we encouraged students to create a meaningful life, find inspiration, be excited for the next chapter, and yet never forget your memorable times at U of M: a perfect combination of looking back and looking forward.

Student speakers_ Alissa Ranger & Chris Beindorff

Pictured: Student Speakers, Alissa Ranger & Chris Beindorff

Jon Hein served as the keynote speaker at this year’s ceremony.  Jon graduated with a B.A. in Communications and History from U of M in 1989.  He first came on the scene when he coined the term “jump the shark” and created the website, jumptheshark.com, in 1997.  Jon hosts “Fast Food Mania” on the Discovery Channel Destination America and the collectibles show “For What It’s Worth” on VH1 classic.  He is also a producer on “The Howard Stern Show” at Sirius XM Radio where he has hosted a variety of programs including “The Wrap Up Show” for the past decade.  In other words, he’s a pretty big deal.

Jon Hein 1

Pictured: Keynote Speaker, Jon Hein

Although his invaluable experience through the field of communications took him all across the country, Jon asserted that Ann Arbor will forever be “home.”  He expressed his deep love for U of M, making it clear that he truly does bleed maize and blue.  With charisma, passion, and enthusiasm, he shared his successes, failures, and lessons learned.  Jon explained that he found his success through one simple equation: talent + persistence = luck.  He firmly believes that as U of M students we’ve already shown our passion to succeed, which has carried us through the past four years.  As students at this competitive university, we are already immensely talented.  Now, our task is to work hard, pay our dues, and not be easily discouraged.  This is where persistence comes in.

He recognized that it may not always be possible to land your “dream job” right away, but he urged students that with talent and persistence, you can be lucky enough to turn your passions into reality.  As Jon asserted, “This is the time in your life when you can make bold choices and go for it.” He reiterated that we need to take advantage of our time right now because it’ll never be here for us again.  “You’ll never have the freedom you have right now.  Make the most of it. Now is the time to go for it. Nothing is tying you down or holding you back,” he continued.

In our journey to “just go for it,” he recognized a few lessons he learned along the way:

• “Always try to surround yourself with people who are smarter, funnier, and just as passionate as you are.  It raises your game.”
  • “Maintain your creative outlet.  Never let it go.”
  • “You need to be self-aware.  Don’t let your limitations hold you back.  Build upon your strengths.”
  • “Reach out to fellow Michigan graduates.”

I don’t know about you, fellow graduates, but these words will resonate with me forever.

And just like that, we graduated from the Department of Communication Studies.  As I look back at old photos, I am reminded that Jon Hein was right.  We really have had the time of our lives these past four years.  We learned, we failed, we succeeded, and we grew.  We truly lived.  But we can’t dwell in the past.  We are more alive now than ever and there is still so much to experience.  In the words of Jon Hein, “It’s okay to look back as you’re looking forward.”  You bet, Jon Hein.  I plan to do just that.

Alumni Connection 2015 Recap

Alumni Connection 3_20_2015 010This year’s annual Alumni Connection event took place last Friday, March 20th, in the Michigan League. Per usual, the event opened with remarks made by Professor and Chair of the Department, Susan J. Douglas, with panelist presentations following. Six Communication Studies alumni were featured on the panel this year. Graduating classes ranging from 2005-2013, and represented companies from Tumblr to Nielsen.

READ MORE »

Alumni Connection Panelist: Liz Vaccariello

photo 2Liz is a 1989 alumnus in Communication Studies. Currently, she stands as the editor-in-chief and chief content officer of Reader’s Digest in New York, NY. Here, she is responsible for driving editorial direction and product strategy across the brand’s media platforms. They include: Reader’s Digest, the second largest paid subscription magazine in the United States with a readership of more than 26 million; ReadersDigest.com, with an audience of over 4 million unique monthly visitors; editions for the iPad, Nook and Amazon Kindle, on which Reader’s Digest is one of the best selling magazines; and books, of which 15.8 million are sold each year. READ MORE »