MACS Weber Shandwick Tour

image_1On Friday March 23, a select few members of Michigan Association for Communication Studies (MACS) were fortunate enough to attend the agency tour of the global PR firm Weber Shandwick in Birmingham, MI.

Upon arrival, MACS members were greeted by two of the internship coordinators, Sam Saracco and Sara Bloomberg. After initial meet-and-greets students moved to one of the conference rooms and were welcomed with some goodies (see picture of note-taking book and cookie cake!). Several employees shared their experiences of working in the PR industry and students were introduced to the importance of AP style formatting in writing press releases, social media posts and even e-mails! After the presentation, students were given a tour of the building and heard from a number of diverse employees ranging from current interns to digital video production team members as well as a few U of M alumni!

image_2image_3image

Erin Hescott, Junior Communication Studies major, took a moment to reflect on her experience of the tour:

Q: After attending the Weber Shandwick tour, how would you define PR?

A: I think modern PR has a lot to do with helping to create and promote a client’s image. It involves being a liaison between your client and the media by building relationships with journalists, utilizing social media platforms and crafting effective press releases.

Q: What was your favorite part of the tour?  

A: I was really inspired by the people. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. It’s really enticing to see a global agency that puts so much emphasis on smaller scale things like cultivating a happy and healthy environment for its employees. The cookie cakes also didn’t hurt!

Q: How does what you learned from the tour relate to your future educational or career goals? 

A: One of the girls we talked to worked on the Pure Michigan account, and being very active and into the outdoors myself, I would love to work with that client. I am looking to work in sports marketing or PR one day, so getting involved in an account like Pure Michigan would give me a lot of relevant experience.

No Comments Yet