Posts tagged Merit

Summer Internship Series: Sarah Scott

This summer, I have the pleasure of serving as a marketing intern with Merit, a cause-based fashion brand located here in Ann Arbor that shapes the fate of students in need by helping send them to college. Merit does this by donating 20% of ALL revenue to fund college scholarships. It’s an amazing cause that I’m truly passionate about.

I actually discovered this internship opportunity in the Communication Studies weekly emails that Cheryl Erdmann, the Undergraduate Program Coordinator for the Department, sends out. Prior to receiving the email, I had already been following Merit closely as its cause is one that I highly regard. Dave Merritt, founder of Merit Goodness, has hosted multiple events on campus so I have also had the opportunity to hear him speak on various occasions.

In order to land the position, I went through what I felt was a standard application process. I followed-up with the weekly email and sent my resume and cover letter to Merit. I was fortunate enough to be one of the students selected for an interview. From there, the rest is history.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to work with such an amazing brand.

This summer has certainly been a whirlwind.  Not only is it the summer before my senior year officially starts, but I also celebrated my 21st birthday in June at a Merit event.  On my birthday I had the unique opportunity to attend Virgin Atlantic’s “Ain’t Too Proud to Pitch” event at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit representing Merit! I will always remember this special night.

“Ain’t Too Proud to Pitch” was an event to celebrate the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic flight service between Detroit and London. The event provided networking opportunities, insight and discussion for an audience of 300 guests, made up of media, Detroit influencers and business owners. Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin Group, was the host accompanied by a panel consisting of Dan Gilbert, chairman and founder of Rock Ventures and Quicken Loans, Bridget Russo, chief marketing officer for Shinola, and Adirel Thompson, founder of Digital Laundre. At the event, Dave Meritt, founder of Merit had the chance to pitch the Merit story to Richard and the rest of the panel.

Sarah Scott Picture

(Merit Marketing Interns at Virgin Atlantic’s “Ain’t Too Proud to Pitch.” I’m wearing red.)

Prior to the event, interns were instructed to create a social media content calendar to be utilized to generate awareness about Merit and its involvement in Virgin Atlantic’s “Ain’t Too Proud to Pitch” event. As part of this calendar, we collaboratively developed posts across all social media platforms announcing Merit’s involvement in “Ain’t Too Proud to Pitch” generating approximately 204 likes more than the average in just two days! It was very rewarding to know that we were successful in engaging with the public on social media through our posts.

Needless to say, this “Ain’t Too Proud to Pitch” event was an incredible experience and a fabulous way to spend my birthday! I could go on and on about how wonderful Merit is but it is better you see for yourself. If you’re in Ann Arbor, be sure to stop by the store at 1113 S. University Ave and support; if not, make sure you visit www.meritgoodness.com to check out our products and learn more about the cause.

I’m thrilled to continue learning and putting my skills to use through this internship. I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store!