Posts tagged Student Intern Blogger

Goodbye WPLG Local 10, Hello Ann Arbor: Sarah Reflects on Internship Do’s & Don’ts

10418147_10152253500647535_4973986070409039344_n (1)As I sit restlessly on this plane to Detroit, I cannot help but feel excitement surge through my body in anticipation of returning to the magical place we call Ann Arbor. As students at the University of Michigan, we dream about the start of football season, and spending our Saturdays in the Big House amongst 115,000 of our closest friends. We no longer count down the days until school ends, but rather count down the days of summer until school begins. We yearn to walk through the Diag as the leaves glow red, and those massive squirrels get uncomfortably close. READ MORE »

Alissa’s Post-Internship Advice & Appreciation of her Comm Studies Major

Alissa Ranger_DominosIt wasn’t until after my internship this past summer at Domino’s Pizza that I really learned to appreciate being a Communication Studies major.  You sit in hours and hours worth of lectures and cross your fingers hoping that all of this time, money, and hard work will pay off in the real world.  Well, breathe a sigh of relief my fellow Communications concentrators because I am confident now that a Communication Studies degree will help set you up for success in the workplace.  READ MORE »

Tips & Perks of Working at a Small Company from Intern Sarah at Alita’s Brand Bar

One of the great things about interning at a small company is having the ability to gain hands-on experience every day.  As an intern at Alita’s Brand Bar, a branding and licensing company that works to extend the reputation and revenue of clients, I have learned many new skills that I feel go beyond what I have been exposed to inside the classroom. READ MORE »

Insight from Communications Intern Brianne at the National Women’s Law Center

Written by: Brianne Johnson

“Fear the frill,” the shirt reads, framing the silhouette of the #NotoriousRBG herself, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. It’s another muggy D.C. morning over in Dupont Circle, where the National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) is consumed by the chaos of pencil skirts dashing through the halls, printers spitting out statement drafts, and me, a media intern, hovering over my office phone, pen in hand, for the first press request to come in. This is the morning of the final session of the term for the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS), more infamously known in our office as the morning that the Court would release its ruling on the case of Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores & Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Burwell.

READ MORE »

Macey Finds a Perfect Fit in Festival Work for A2SF

Rackham Stage photoIn pursuing a Communication Studies degree with a broad array of interests, it can be difficult to find a job or internship that seems like the right fit. Luckily, I found mine by working at the Ann Arbor Summer Festival 2014.

READ MORE »

Opportunity Knocks for Intern Sarah at WPLG Local 10

IMG_6126Working as a News Department Intern at the ABC Local Affiliate in South Florida, WPLG Local 10, this past month has been anything but predictable. As a part of Wolv-TV, I knew coming into the job that working in the news industry required a fast-paced mentality and a high tolerance for stress, but what I had yet to realize were how many different facets contribute to one single story, and just how quickly work is expected to be done. On television, the presentation of news often seems relaxed and concise, but this façade is impressively constructed by a team of reporters and dedicated newsroom staff that work to “make it happen.” READ MORE »

Internship ‘do’s and don’ts’ inspired by Alissa at Domino’s

Alissa Ranger_Dominos‘Do’s and don’ts’ lists are cliché – I am well aware.  We have all heard advice along the lines of, “Always be on your ‘A’ game”, “Dress for success”, “Don’t be late to meetings.” Sigh. So why did I accept the challenge to write such a list?  Well, not only am I always up for a challenge, but I have taken this opportunity as a Student Intern Blogger to compile the meaningful advice I have gained directly from my supervisors and personal experiences so far, as a Marketing Intern at Domino’s Pizza.  My hope is that this ‘do’s and don’ts’ list will not only be insightful, but inspire you to bring more than just your  ‘A’ game to your internship.  Let’s get started.

READ MORE »

Student Intern Bloggers: Summer Series 2014

Any Comm Students interested in being a Student Intern Blogger for us this Summer? We are looking for a number of students to create posts documenting their internships, which will go live on the Department blog! READ MORE »

Lizzie Mac, Student Intern Blogger: The Top 10 Things You Need to Know to Score Your Dream Internship

Hi everyone! It’s Lizzie again and I am excited to update all of you on my internship! Rather than just talking about my internship, however, I wanted to take this opportunity to provide some great tips on how you can score your dream internship too. My internship hunt for the summer of 2012 has come to a close and I am excited to provide information that I wish I had known long ago. As applications are finally being reviewed and decisions will be sent out soon, I wish you the best of luck (not that us Wolverines need too much of it). READ MORE »

Molly Livingston, Student Intern Blogger: Learning from your Living Situation

Any time you move in with a group of complete strangers, there should be no expectations. In the past, I walked into living situations and immediately labeled the people I saw.  I’ve since learned that with snap judgements, you run the risk of missing out on some really great people. On the other hand, I’ve also learned that there is a certain pleasure to be dervied from learning your initial assumptions about someone were wrong. When I moved into my Disney housing, I knew that I’d be living with five other girls, but other than that I had no idea what to expect. Personally, when I first meet people, I much shyer than I am once you get to know me. In the beginning, a few of my roommates were a little louder and more outgoing than me, and I was instantly wary of them. A couple of them were quiet, like me, and I assumed that we would be friends.  What I never expected, however, was that all of my roommtes would become friends with one another, despite the fact that we all come from incredibly different backgrounds. READ MORE »